So, being broke lately has led me to doing what my mom always said “Work with what you’ve got.” I’ve decided that I’m becoming more of a hippie, because this morning I made my own granola bars. Except, this batch I made them without oats, so I call this recipe:
Cranberry Choco Sans Granola Bars
1/2 c. brown rice syrup
1/4 c. peanut butter
1/4 c. vegan carob chips (or chocolate chips)
1/2 c. dried cranberries
1/4 c. pumpkin seeds (I used Pumpkorn cocoa pumpkin seeds)
1 1/4 c. puffed rice cereal
1 1/4 c. corn flakes-type cereal
1. Lightly oil an 8×8 inch baking pan and set aside.
2. In a larger pot, stir together the rice syrup, peanut butter, and carob chips on medium-low heat until melted; stir continuously to prevent burning.
3. Once mixture is evenly melted and mixed, remove from heat and immediately add cranberries, seeds and cereals. Mix quickly until everything is well-coated.
4. With damp hands, press mixture firmly and evenly into your 8×8 inch pan. Refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes to set.
5. Once set, use a butter-knife to slice into bars.
-Add a handful of shredded coconut when adding cereals
-Replace corn flakes-type cereal for rolled oats
-Try different seed or nut butters in place of peanut butter
-sprinkle in some sesame seeds, flax seeds, nuts or other goodies