Unsure of what to make for Sunday breakfast and really wanting to go to the vegan bakery for brunch, but not having the money to do so, I put myself to work in the kitchen making some homemade vegan donuts! I veganized a recipe from one of my donut pans and created a chocolate variation. You’ll find the recipe below 🙂
Chocolate Vegan Donuts
-2 c. all purpose flour
-3/4 c. sugar
-2 tsp baking powder
-2 Tbs cocoa powder
-1 tsp salt
-3/4 c. soy milk
-4 tsp baking powder mixed with 4 Tbs water
-2 tsp vanilla extract
-1 tsp chocolate extract
-1 Tbs canola oil
1 C. powdered sugar in a bag
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Lightly spray donut pan(s) with vegetable oil or lightly grease with vegan margarine or shortening.
2. In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt.
3. Stir in milk, baking powder/water mixture, vanilla extract, chocolate extract and vegetable oil. Beat together until well blended.
4. Pour batter into a pastry bag fitted with a wide tip or pour into a gallon-sized zip top bag and snip off one of the corners. Fill each donut mold 3/4 full.
5. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes (I do it for 12), until donuts spring back when touched.
Allow to cool slightly before removing from pan.
For powdered donuts drop still warm donuts into the bag with powdered sugar and shake to coat. (Note: if you leave these overnight the donuts absorb the powdered sugar coating!)