Tonight I wasn’t sure what to make for dinner, so I turned to my fat stack of vegan cookbooks to flip through for inspiration. Sometimes I discover recipes I never even knew I had! Tonight I found a pretty sweet recipe for Falafel from scratch! So I made wraps ^_^
The recipe is altered slightly from the Sonia’s Falafels recipe found in The Garden of Vegan by Tanya Barnard & Sarah Kramer
You will need:
- 1 15 oz. can chickpeas (aka Garbanzo Beans)
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 tbsp parsley
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup firm tofu (or 1/4 package)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- In a blender or food processor, combine all the ingredients and blend until well mixed.
- Roll mixture with wet hands into balls/patties.
- In a medium frying pan, saute balls/patties on medium-high heat in oil until browned on all sides.
- Once brown on all sides, remove balls/patties from pan and place on paper towels or a brown paper bag to absorb some of the excess oil.
- Serve on tortillas. To prepare the tortilla: Place one tablespoon of hummus or Baba Ghannouj in the center of the tortilla and spread evenly with the back of a spoon. Top with salad greens, grape tomatoes and finally with falafel balls/patties. Roll up and enjoy!
If you give this one a try, feel free to share your experience!